Saturday, February 26, 2011

Film Review "Winter's Bone" and Oscar Picks 2-26

Why is this film nominated for best picture? Of the nominees, this is probably the worst, and one of the weirder films I have seen in my life. Spoilers beyond this point. The film is about a girl named Ree, played by Jennifer Lawrence, who is trying to find her father so a bails bondsman doesn't take her house. This family lives out in the boonies/woods with her younger brother and sister and her catatonic mother. That's the first issue I have with this film. The mother didn't seem catatonic or sick at all in this film, just on the verge of a nervous breakdown. All and all, she just didn't talk, that's it; she wasn't bed ridden or unable to do anything, so I don't get how she was catatonic. Also, what do these people do for money? As far as I know, Ree is the biggest provider, but she doesn't work at all in the film, and we are not given any indication that she does work. Also, what was up with the mafia aspect of this film? That is one of the weirdest concepts I have seen in a film, the "redneck mafia" (that's not what their called, but if you watched this, you would get what I mean). Also, the main character cuts off her dead fathers hands, and puts them in a plastic bag and brings them down to the police station by her self. I can't put my finger on it, but something seems off about this. I don't know what I would do in this situation, but I would not do that. All and all, not the best film. Not a terrible one, but not the best either. Probably the best part of this were both Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes. They were the best performers in the film, and they deserve their actor nominations at the Oscars. See if you want, I'm not recommending it, see it just for the ridiculous redneck mafia and a girl cutting off her dead fathers hands. That's about it. 4/10.

Oscar Picks as of Feb. 26 at 5:00 (What should win, not what will win)
1.Toy Story 3
2.The King's Speech
3.Inception
4.True Grit
5.The Fighter
6.The Social Network
7.127 Hours
8.The Kids Are All Right
9.Winter's Bone

Just have to watch Black Swan, which I am sure will be high on the list. Will have to tune in tomorrow to see the big winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment